Radon gas results from the breakdown of uranium in the soil, water and rocks beneath us. Radon accumulates in attics and cellars and enters buildings through its walls or floor. It can also enter your house via well water, and it has been determined that construction materials can occasionally release radon into buildings.

Radon is natural, odorless, colorless, and it is radioactive. Because the air pressure of residential and commercial buildings is lower than pressure in the ground, a building can act like a vacuum, pulling up radon from the earth through breaches in its foundation. As mentioned above, signs of radon have been discovered in well water, which can enter the home of inhabitants that use it for drinking, bathing, or rinsing.

Are There Obvious Symptoms of Radon Exposure?

Your body is subjected to radon when you breathe it in. Excessive amounts of radon can be found in almost any home or commercial center. Because most of us spend the majority of our time at home, that is where radon exposure is most likely to occur.

Radon is essentially everywhere in our environment. In fact, you are most likely breathing a small amount of it in daily. Without the proper testing equipment, you cannot detect it, even if you are breathing it in at a high level. The radon threat is that you cannot see, smell or taste it. You will not experience immediate symptoms. Unfortunately, continued radon exposure may result in diseases such as lung cancer.

How to Minimize the Risk of Radon Poisoning

The information above emphasizes why it is so important to have your house or commercial structure tested for radon on a regular basis.

To have your home or commercial space professionally tested for radon, contact Advanced Air Quality Consultants (AAQC). You can stop by our office, reach us online or call us at 651-336-1103. We look forward to hearing from you.