Mold (or mildew) is the name frequently used for fungi living in the interior environment of our homes or commercial spaces. Of course, molds are present both indoors and outdoors. They are most often found on decaying organic materials such as food. Molds help decompose organic matter so it can be reused by other living organisms.

Mold and bacteria can exist just about anywhere on our planet. Most building materials have mold spores on them at any given time. When building materials like cardboard, wallpaper, insulation, etc. remain wet for more than 48 hours, mold will probably appear.

To protect your home or commercial space against mold, reduce the amount of time mold has to spread by quickly drying your building materials after a water damage event, such as a flood. If you cannot rapidly dry materials like drywall or furniture, consider having them removed.

Healthy Individuals

For healthy individuals, mold exposure may only trigger a mild allergic reaction, such as a cough, stuffy nose, and irritated eyes.

People with Asthma or Other Lung Disease

Mold exposure can be extremely problematic and enhance in the severity of lung symptoms for those with chronic lung disease.

People with Weakened Immune Systems

For kids younger than two years old, the elderly, those in need of long-term steroid drugs, those with HIV, and those who have a weakened immune system, mold exposure can cause deadly infections. When removing mold in the presence of these individuals, careful attention must be taken.

Is mold growing in your Minnesota home or commercial space? Advanced Air Quality Consultants (AAQC) offers professional mold testing services and can arrange for the removal of mold in the Minneapolis – St. Paul area. To schedule an appointment or to learn more, contact us online or call us at 651-336-1103.